VEX Robotics Home Tutoring
Our VEX Robotics Home Tutoring programs use VEX IQ and VEX EDR robotics kits that enable students to develop skills in Design Technology and Computer Science. These programs offer are hands-on activities, which include diverse builds, games, and competition preparation. The IQ and EDR programs offered are for students from 7 to 18 years old.
What age groups normally study VEX IQ and VEX EDR?
VEX IQ is aimed at students from 7 to 14 years old and VEX EDR is aimed at students 14 to 18 years old. The level and programs are broken down as follows:
- 7 to 10 year olds – VEX IQ – Students will used VEX IQ Blocks for programming
- 10 to 14 year olds – VEX IQ – Students will use a VEX text based language for programming
- 14 to 14 year olds – VEX EDR – Students will use a mix of block and text based programming depending on their abilithy
How much are courses for VEX Robotics Home Tutoring?
VEX IQ Home tutoring – 46000 baht for 10 x 2 hour sessions. Program cost can be shared by up to 2 students.
VEX EDR Home tutoring – 56000 baht for 10 x 2 hour sessions. Program cost can be shared by up to 2 students.
What is the difference between VEX IQ and VEX EDR?
VEX IQ Robots are designed for students from 7 to 14 years old, VEX EDR Robots are designed for students from 14 years old up to university level. Both of these kits expect students to be able to apply Physics and Maths as well as Computer Science. The EDR kit is in comparison to the IQ kit and require students to have a good base level understanding of robotics before starting the EDR program.
VEX IQ Program
- The Level 1 course is an introduction to VEX robotics. Students will learn how to build base level robots and learn how to write programs using VEXcode blocks. Students will aim to develop the following skills by the end of the course:
- Build a base a level robot with support from their teacher and robot buddy
- Identify key components used to construct the base level robot and explain the basic technical terms of the role of each component
- Understand basic programming terminology such as LOOP, ITERATION, VARIABLE and CONSTANT
- Be able to independently drive the robot and pick up objects
- Demonstrate basic debugging skills
- Create simple autonomous programs
VEX IQ Program
- The Level 2 course continues to develop students build skills and autonomous programming using VEXcode blocks and will develop the following skills below:
- Construct or modify their own robot using the knowledge from Level 1 to move and pick up objects on the VEX field
- Independently write their own autonomous program in VEXcode blocks using the drive function
- Confidently use loop structures and understand why programs reuse code
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of grouping together sets of code and developing functions using VEXcode blocks
- Improve their driving skills and compete with their robot buddies using VEX game elements
- Understand the need for an engineering booklet and skills that need to be evidence for VEX robotics competitions
VEX IQ Program
- This Level 3 aims to develop students' skills in engineering by applying skills from Level 1 and Level 2 in a competition scenario.
- Students will learn how to develop their robot builds so they can compete in Driver Skills, Autonomous skills, and the Teamwork challenge in a competition scenario.
- The teaching in Level 3 will solely focus on preparing students for the upcoming VEX IQ season.
- The VEX IQ elements change yearly, the 2019 season focused on robots collecting cubes and balls then placing them in different positions on the field.
- Students from around the world continue to develop their programming and computational skills in robotics to try and compete at national and international levels.
VEX EDR Program
- The Level 1 course is an introduction to VEX EDR robotics for both students new to robotics and, students who have progressed from VEX IQ robotics.
- Students will learn how to build the base level VEX EDR Clawbot and will learn how to write programs using Vexcode Text and Python.
- Students will aim to develop the following skills by the end of the course:
- Build base level Clawbot with support from their teacher
- Use STEMLabs curriculum and identify how VEX mechanisms work
- Understand basic programming terminology and write autonomous programs using VEXcode Text or Python (without sensors)
- Demonstrate how to debug problems with hardware and software and explain what visual checks should be carried out if there is a problem with the hardware
- Learn how to drive the robot to complete tasks on VEX field
VEX EDR Program
- The Level 2 course continues to develop students build skills and autonomous programming using VEXcode Text and Python and will develop the following skills below:
- Construct a robot to solve problems using the VEX EDR series elements
- Develop autonomous programs in VEXcode Text and Python using sensors
- Improve driver skill techniques
- Develop an understanding of functions and procedures for autonomous
- Apply problem-solving techniques developed in Level 1 and demonstrate how to debug problems with hardware and software
- Develop an engineering booklet to demonstrate skills learned in Levels 1 and Level 2
- Learn how to use tools safely to cut metals and other objects for new robot designs
- Learn how to use Fusion 360 to design robotics parts
VEX EDR Program
- This Level 3 aims to develop students skills in engineering by applying skills from Level 1 and Level 2 in a competition scenario.
- Students will learn how to develop their robot builds so they can compete in Driver Skills, Autonomous skills and the Teamwork challenge in a competition scenario.
- Students will also learn the skills of the VEX EDR season and learn to develop strong communication and teamwork skills over the course of Level 3
- Over the course of Level 3, students will learn how to develop the following skills:
- Develop working designs in Fusion 360 and details how different components of their robots can function in a competition scenario
- Continue to develop robot designs using a range of Design Technology tools
- Learn how to compete at national and international levels and apply skills learned from Levels 1 and Level 2